Leadership has always confused me . At time it feels real and inspirational , other times it seems paradoxical and confuses me even further .
why ? that is another post .
what this post is about , is test leadership and how I have seen it being implemented or have implemented myself ( during the precious little i was allowed to )
Test Leadership through :
1. Example : clichéd but very hard to follow . One of my favorite modes of leadership . Demonstrate to your flock as to how to do things by doing them excellently .
Pros : You are the sun of the team and you would create other stars in the team and lift the performance level of the team.
Cons : You could overawe , demoralize or make people green with envy . If implemented without care could be counter productive / lead to under performance . and someone can poison your food one day .
2.Direction: Point your team in the “right” direction and let them do it .
Pros : Team will falter , learn ( you need to make sure ) , improve and perform
Cons : Risk of failure . Leader needs to take a call on risk vs cost of failure .
How do you know that the direction is “right” ?
3. Delegation : Just assign stuff and compile beautiful reports.
Pros : Umm…
Cons : hard to gain your team’s respect.
4. Servitude : Just do what the test manager or project manager says . If something goes wrong you have some big fish to blame.
Pros : You stay on your manager’s right side. Avoid conflict and stress.
Cons : You can not keep everyone happy , so you might end up with a very unhappy and frustrated team .
5. Seduction : Can be implemented literally to varying degrees of success. Also means cajoling , coaxing your team from time to time , to make them do unpopular things .
Pros : Success in implementing thorny stuff
Cons : You might use this to implementing things which you yourself do not believe in or stand for . You just give in arm twisting from higher up . Paradox ?
How is it different from sugar coating bitter pills ?
6. Proxy : You are the figurehead !
Pros : If the person ( who is pulling your strings ) is brilliant then it is honeymoon
Cons : Honeymoon can turn into a Freddy Kruger nightmare
Wake up and take control !
7.Diplomacy: You are a PR champion . Right friends in the right places who give you the right advice.
Pros : Smooth sailing if you have the team to churn it out.
Cons : You could be stuck alone when the ship starts sinking.
8.Discussion: You are a great debater , you can reason and convince people . You like to win and make people shut up.
Pros : You win
Cons : Things turn ugly when you are wrong .
9. Balls : Show some . Dont be a limp
Pros : You defend your team and the team stands for you. “answers your call ”
Cons : Establishment can shunt you out.
I think leadership is varying shades of ALL the above .
In addition to the above mode , Luck and professional relationships play a crucial role.
What do you guys say ?
Leave a Reply